Benicar is blood pressure medication that helps block the angiotensin receptors. The angiotensin hormone causes blood vessels to constrict by blocking this hormone the blood vessel dilates and the flow of blood increases. However, this drug is known to be associated with a condition called sprue-like enteropathy which causes the patient to have chronic diarrhea, weight loss and other gastrointestinal diseases.
This drug was approved by the FDA for the treatment of hypertension. However, since then there have been several reports that have linked this drug with severe gastrointestinal diseases.
Severe side effects of Benicar
The use of this drug has been linked to numerous stomach problems such as
- Chronic diarrhea
- Abdominal pain
- Significant weight loss
- Kidney failure
Some of these symptoms can be seen even after months or years of using Banicar.
The first link that was found between the use of Banicar and sprue-like enteropathy was first seen in 2012 at the Mayo Clinic. The researchers found that of the patients who were taking Banicar 22% showed cases of chronic diarrhea and a significant amount of weight loss. Out of the total number of patients 14 had to be hospitalized due to an unknown condition; these patients then recovered after they stopped the use of Banicar. Dozens of similar cases were seen later in the same year.
After the reports of the findings of Mayo Clinic the FDA conducted its own review in which they found that 23 patients showed severe side effects after using Banicar.
The lawsuits that were consequently files against Banicar showed that there were 20 such studies conducted and case reports that state that Banicar is the cause of the patients gastrointestinal problems.
Following its review about the side effects of Banicar the FDA asked the manufacturers to add warnings on the label for these drugs. The agency also recommended that the patients who develop enteropathy systems should immediately discontinue the use of this drug and use a different blood pressure medication for treatment.
Allegations against Banicar
The lawsuit filed against the maker of Banicar Daiichi Sankyo stated that
- He brought to market serious drugs that could cause gastrointestinal problems
- He gave inadequate warning about the health risks that are associated with these drugs
- He misrepresented the safety of these products even after knowing the risks
- He designed a defective drug that was unsafe for use
- Sufficient testing was not carried out on these drugs
- He created a drug that had more cons than pros
- He did not value the wellbeing and safety of the patient
- He caused harm and financial losses to those who used this drug
How will you know if you are eligible to file a lawsuit against Banicar?
- if you or a loved one has taken Banicar
- if there has been a development of gastro intestinal problems after the use of this drug
- if you or your loved one has suffered financial losses due to the use of this drug
if you believe that the death of a loved one was due to the use of Banicar